Remote (Based in the UK)
With the addition of Quintesse, brands and agencies can leverage natural language processing for true semantic and sentiment recognition to target their audiences across the bid stream without using cookies and ensure relevancy and brand suitability.
We are now looking for a Database Administrator / Developer (UK) to join our Team. Although the team is currently fully remote, the ideal candidate will be within reasonable travel distance of London, as it is planned for the team to meet up frequently in person, and eventually maybe several times a week.
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Business Engineering, you will be helping to develop and maintain the core data infrastructure. You will be interacting with both technical and commercial staff helping to understand requirements and develop ideas. Working as part of a small team, you will be responsible for proactive monitoring of servers, providing analysis, and recommendation with regard to design, technology and hardware. You will primarily have responsibilities relating to our MS SQL server platform but will be expected to be familiar and hands on with a wide selection of current and emerging SQL and NoSQL database technologies.
- Close monitoring of all production SQL Servers across all data-centres.
- Support the development and management of the data warehouse. The data warehouse will be comprised of data from Microsoft SQL server databases, MySQL, AWS Redshift, and other sources.
- Design and build ETL routines
- Maintain and monitor the company backup strategy
- Identify and propose improvements to database design and technology to improve throughput, query -ability and latency.
- To pro-actively deliver project work to improve the data infrastructure or add functionality as required
- The position also requires a substantial amount of project development work, which as the need arises, is essential to be delivered to the business on time and to specification.
- To respond to support tickets in a timely fashion.
- To provide out-of-hours support (once fully trained).
Knowledge, skills and experience
The successful candidate will have 3+ years of production and development DBA experience in a high transactional and multi-server environment with a willingness to embrace new technologies. They will be working on the data infrastructure that support the IntelliTXT advertising platform which serves billions of pages to over 120 million unique users a month, and the Quintesse advertising platform which serves millions of contextual signals to DSPs and Exchanges per day. These are large and complex platforms which provide many interesting technical challenges. Our engineers are actively encouraged to propose new ideas and work with relevant departments across the company to deliver projects.
- Advanced T-SQL
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to 2014
- Transact SQL
- SQL Server High availability and Disaster recovery
- Database maintenance: Upgrade, Backup, Restore, Complex Stored Procedure, Indexing, Triggers, SQL Job agent
- Database instance migration
- Performance tuning and Optimisation
- Advanced Features (CDC, Service Broker, etc)
- Basic knowledge of scripting language: Preference in Python
- Good Problem Solving and Analytical Skills
- Fluent and articulate in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- AWS Cloud Computing Services
- RDS Mysql with Custer & replica management
- Redshift: PostgresSQL
- AWS Glue
- Basic knowledge of code versioning systems (Git)
- Microsoft CRM
Complexity and Creativity/Innovation
The successful candidate will work within an international team of developers and is required to demonstrate initiative in order to achieve the team’s goals and in identifying and evaluating new opportunities as they present themselves.
Judgements and Decisions/Limits of Authority
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Business Engineering and will prioritise work using deadlines established by Head of Business Engineering. The successful candidate will also be expected to deal with planned workload and ad-hoc requests. The successful candidate must also be able to make decisions under pressure and participate during agile sprint planning.
The successful candidate will be required to communicate effectively and should maintain honest and open communication at all times, with individuals outside Quintesse and at all levels internally.
Vibrant Media is an innovative global business, which offers a dynamic environment in which to achieve your career goals. Working alongside a multi-cultural team, you will be offered a competitive salary and stimulating working environment. In addition to being part of a fun, dynamic and challenging workforce, we are proud to offer an attractive benefits package including contributory pension scheme and private medical insurance.
We work hard to be successful, but we also know how to have fun. If you are keen to be part of a team who is passionate about delivering advertising that consumers love, submit your application below.